Operations & Maintenance
Fred. Olsen Windcarrier provides clients with the resources, marine spread and expertise for efficient scheduled and unscheduled Operations and Maintenance (O&M) services to the offshore wind market.
We offer a tailored solution to suit clients’ needs, providing specific services or a fully integrated approach. With our related companies, Global Wind Service, Natural Power and ZX Lidars, we offer a complete solution, bringing the full range of our services through a single Fred. Olsen Windcarrier contract.
As well as our fleet of purpose built vessels, the related companies employ over 1500 people in the offshore wind industry, including over 850 experienced wind turbine technicians, more than 350 renewable consultants and a strong team of engineers and project managers.
- provide a complete range of O&M services through a single contracting body.
- reduce operational risks, management interfaces and contractual complexity by taking the full responsibility and offering tailor-made O&M services at lump sum prices.
- achieve the highest levels of health and safety with integrated HSE policies, documentation packages and work instructions.
- have more than 25 years of experience working in the renewables market, combined with 170 years of commercial shipping experience.
Learn more about the different O&M services offered by the Fred. Olsen related companies
Major Component Exchange
Our unique combination of world-class marine spread, expertise and experience mean that Fred. Olsen Windcarrier can deliver complete large component exchange solutions for our clients.
We have an impressive track record exchanging the following components: gearboxes, generators, main bearings, blade bearings, single blades, rotor stars, transformers and nacelles.
Our capabilities include:
- Grillage/sea fastening design, engineering and fabrication
- Quayside component handling – load in and load out
- Offshore transportation and logistics
- Heavy lifting operations and component removal and installation
- Component inspection and repair (for rolling blade exchange)
- Supply of experienced technical teams
- Accommodation for component exchange teams
- Crew transfer operations – CTV and/or helicopter
- Jack-up support vessels
- Complete HSE management
- Full project management including vessel, site and weather analysis
We offer a range of industry-leading blade inspection and repair techniques – we are competent at working with all major blade types following turbine manufacturers’ specifications. Our technicians are highly trained and have experience in using all methods of accessing blades to undertake repairs – rope access, blade platform and Mobile Elevated Working Platforms (MEWPs).
In addition to general and end of warranty blade inspections, we offer a range of blade repair services which include:
- Non Destructive Testing (NDT)
- ROAV inspection
- Composite repair works
Rolling blade repair
Fred. Olsen Windcarrier are experienced at repairing blades on the deck of our jack-up vessels in a continuous process from turbine to turbine. This highly efficient approach minimises down-time and ensures the best quality repair.
Our specialist jack-ups Brave Tern and Bold Tern have 800t cranes, and spacious decks (3,200m2) allowing maximum flexibility – ideal for this type of campaign. Blue Tern features a 1,200 tonnes main crane and was specifically designed to withstand harsh offshore conditions – and is capable of operating in water depths of up to 65 metres. Liftboat Jill is a competitive vessel to the O&M market for the 3 to 5MW offshore wind turbines. She is capable of servicing up to 80% of the installed offshore wind base and can carry major components.
Integrated service campaigns
Wind turbine service and repair is a key area of expertise and our track record in this area is extensive. We offer services from a single technician to complete service teams co-ordinated with full project and site management and multi-scope solutions – including vessel provision and tool setup. We have experience with all the major European turbine models, covering all scheduled maintenance and unscheduled services.
- First maintenance (500 hour)
- Annual service
- Bolt torque and tension
- Hydraulic systems
- Oil and grease replacement
- Electrical systems
- Mechanical systems
- Statutory testing of turbine mounted safety equipment
- Statutory testing on hoisting equipment and lifts
- Tower inspection and repair
- Blade inspection and repair
- Component retrofit campaign
- Main component exchange – included but not limited to: drivetrain, gearboxes, generators (mechanical), hub and hub bearing covers, main bearings, shafts and yaw gearbox
- Blade inspection and repair
- Lighting protection systems; inspections and repair
- Boat landing cleaning
- Paint repairs
Decommissioning and Repowering
As the earliest wind farms reach the end of their lifetime, we are perfectly positioned to offer a range of services to decommission assets.
Our work includes:
- Marine licence documentation preparation and submission for decommissioning works relating to offshore wind infrastructure
- Consenting advice for decommissioning of whole projects or part of a project
- Consenting support through provision of environmental impact assessments, Habitats Regulations Assessment/Appraisal, and risk assessments and licence applications for European protect Species
- Stakeholder consultation and fisheries liaison services
- Consultation support with licensing authorities and landlords
- Pre-decommissioning works support with discharge of licence conditions
- Health & Safety Consultancy Services;
- Core High Voltage Services
Our operations and maintenance offering provides a single point of contact, through a dedicated programme project manager.
The companies working with Fred. Olsen Windcarrier representing the integrated O&M services are:
Global Wind Service (GWS) is one of the largest companies in Europe offering manpower, and installation and servicing of wind turbines around the world, employing over 600 technicians. With a proven track record of working with all European turbine manufacturers, and extensive experience installing, servicing and maintaining most wind turbine types, they have a competitive edge that is unrivalled in market.
With over 21 years’ experience in the renewables industry, Natural Power has developed a unique lifecycle approach to project management and advisory services. Employing over 340 people, its multi-disciplinary team of engineers, environmental experts and project managers, ensures a co-ordinated approach to offshore projects where shared knowledge can help mitigate and reduce costs.
ZephIR Lidar are the originators of lidar for the wind industry, with over a decade’s experience and over 1000 on- and offshore lidar deployments in more than 50 countries. It delivers bankable wind data during the life of wind farms. Using vertical and horizontal scanning, they are able to measure wind characteristics remotely, accurately and more cost efficiently than traditional met masts.